Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Information for Visitors/Residents in Chile

Chilean Entry and Visa Requirements

A passport is required to enter Chile.  U.S. citizens traveling on regular passports do not need a tourist visa for a stay of up to three months. A tourist card is issued at the international port-of-entry.

U.S. Citizens wishing to work or study in Chile should obtain a visa from the Chilean Embassy or Consulate prior to traveling.  Information can be found at the site (

U.S. Citizens traveling on official or diplomatic passports must obtain a visa at a Chilean Embassy or Chilean Consulate before traveling to Chile.  You cannot receive a tourist card or a tourist visa in your official or diplomatic passport at the airport or port-of-entry.

Please visit the website of the Chilean Embassy in Washington, DC for full visa and consular information (

Extending Tourist Cards and Changing Visa Status

U.S. citizens visiting Chile who wish to extend the 90-day stay granted by International Police may apply for an extension at the "Departamento de Extranjería".  The application must be submitted at least two weeks before expiration of the initial 90 days. The extension is usually granted on a one-time basis for an additional 90 days.

U.S. citizens in the Metropolitan Region should request this service at the following location and hours:

San Antonio 580, 2nd floor, downtown Santiago
Hours 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

U.S. citizens visiting other regions should contact the nearest government office known as "Gobernación" for this service. See the available information at the Chilean office "Extranjeria" for the location of this office in your region.

U.S. visitors who are interested in living, working or studying in Chile should inquire about changing their visa status at the same office of the Chilean Government called "Extranjería".


You must replace your tourist card if it has been lost or stolen.  You are required to surrender the tourist card to International Police officers at the time you exit Chile.  If not, you will not be allowed to leave the country.  A duplicate tourist card must be obtained at any of the offices for Policía Internacional.  You will be required to present your passport at the time of application.

In Santiago, request your tourist card at the following location and hours:

Address: Eleuterio Ramirez 852, Santiago (Downtown)
e-mail: Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

The tourist card may be replaced at the Santiago International Airport in case of an emergency.  You need to arrive at least an hour earlier than your scheduled arrival time.  We recommend, however, if possible, that the duplicate tourist card be obtained in advance at the International Police office listed above.

If you will exit Chile from another departure point, you must apply for your tourist card in advance of your arrival at the point of departure.  You cannot obtain a tourist card replacement in another departure point that is not the International Airport in Santiago.